I do not understand my reported results. What should I do or who should I contact?

Understanding reports

If your dentist or healthcare professional provided you with access to DROWZLE, you should address any questions with them. Consultation with your medical or dental professional is recommended.

If your employer is providing the DROWZLE program to their employees, then consulting with your primary care physician on your screening results is recommended.

You may also direct non-medical reporting questions to the Customer Help Center - Support Request Form. Click this link to proceed to the Support Request form.